Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pizza 101 - Perfect Pizza Sauce and The Liebster Award


When most of us think of pizza, we think of it coming with oodles of cheese and toppings, and a red sauce made from tomatoes.  Some of us like it with a white sauce, which is thickened milk with butter, cheese and herbs, or just an olive oil glaze with garlic, or salsa, or beans, or ricotta with herbs, or...  Some of us like it with any one of those things.  I am one of those people.  So, while it was difficult to choose which sauce to cover, I decided to go with the traditional tomato sauce for the second portion of the Pizza 101 tutorial. I did toil, and I finally decided that I could be here for days and still not cover all of the best sauces for pizza.  Really.

This very flavorful basic red sauce is extremely simple to put together regardless of the season (I have an awesome fresh sauce recipe for summer tomatoes to share when tomatoes are back in season).  But since I'm presently out of said summer sauce (no fresh tomatoes worth a squat in the dead of winter where I live and I've used up my stored lot), I'll share a simple tomato sauce made from pureed tomatoes, dried herbs, fresh onion and garlic.  Some people like a sweet sauce (I am not one of them), and if this is you, add a little raw honey or a pinch of sugar to the sauce.

Perfect Pizza Sauce
enough for two 12-14 inch pizzas
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce or tomato puree
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 1 Tbs onion, shredded (do this with a fresh onion and a cheese grater)
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  • sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together.


After you have rolled out your crust, use half of this mixture for each crust; spread with the back of a spoon over the crust to within a half inch from the edge.


If you do not use the whole recipe, this sauce will keep in the refrigerator for several days, and it freezes well, too.  We always have some on hand because my kids like to make little pizzas for lunch from the bread dough always present in our fridge (thanks to the awesome technique provided by the Artisan Bread in Five duo, who, by the way, have a new book entirely dedicated to pizza which is most definitely worth a look if you love pizza as much as we do).

And, of course, I will share more pizza recipes in the future that include some of those other delicious sauces.

Next up - Toppings (and how to make your own Italian sausage)!

But first, I'm so excited to share this news:


Yesterday I was flattered to be awarded the Liebster award from Mama F at Doggie at the Dinner Table.  Then, last night, I recieved another from Chris at Sweet Mornings!  What an honor!


The Liebster Blog Liebster is German and translates to "dearest" or "favorite". It is meant for up-and-coming blogs with less than 200 followers.
Here are the rules:

- Thank your Liebster Blog Award presenter on your blog

- Link back to the blogger who presented the award to you

- Copy and paste the blog award on your blog

- Present the Liebster Blog Award to 5 blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed

- Let them know they have been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog

I feel extra fortunate that with both awards, I am able to award ten other blogs.  It was difficult to choose only ten because there are just so many fantastic blogs out there, but I've finally gotten my list down.  So, without further ado, I am awarding the Liebster to:


Thank you all so much for your support and for reading my blog.  And thank you Mama F and Chris for nominating me!  I feel so fortunate to be a part of such a warm, generous, and supportive community!


16 comments:

  1. Wow! What a surprise not only to be nominated, but to have it come from an outstanding blogger like You.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you very much! this is such an honor! read you entries and found it entertaining not to mention informative...

    my deepest gratitude again to you for this award :)

    glad to have met you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Laura what a pleasant surprise!I'm so thrilled!That's so thoughtful and kind of you, Thank you so so much.Two Leibster awards in two weeks,I can't stop smiling :)and btw never made pizza sauce this way.It looks so much easier and tastier!Will be following your recipe from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pizza sauce! I was just thinking this evening that it was next on my to-do list and then you blog appears! You must have read my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that?! That's the whole Great Minds Think Alike thing in action! I hope you like it, Sheri :-)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations for your award! U deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Laura! I am so glad you enjoy my little blog:)
    Congrats on your award too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your "little blog"! Congratulations to you, and thank you!

      Delete
  7. Thanks you so much Laura! Really honored to have been chosen by you...and congrats to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for the nomination! I can't wait to pass it along! :) #love right back at ya! :)

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It is so fun to let everyone know how much you like their work!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...