Our household has five computers; my laptop, my kids' laptop, my husband's Mac, a junky Windows Vista laptop that moves slower than molasses in January, and a clunky old desktop from about 1910 that hasn't been turned on in at least seven years. I suppose if you count my fancy pants phone, which I don't really even know how to work, we technically have six computers. During the day, my kids use both their laptop and mine for school, so I really only have my computer in the evenings. This past week, the screen on my laptop croaked and I had to bring it in to be repaired, which means my children were sharing one computer for school and I was out of luck. Yes, I could have used the Mac, but not only do I not like it, I don't understand it beyond using the internet, and all of my stuff was on my computer, anyway.
I have learned some things about myself and life in general this past week. First, I don't spend as much time on the internet as I thought; I spend most of my computer time using the off-line production programs on my computer. Second, the world would be a much cleaner place without computers because I, for one, had an awful lot of time on my hands and my house is positively glowing. Third, I really, really like my computer. Fourth, I really, really enjoy writing this blog, and I have seriously missed doing it this past week! Fifth, just 15 years ago, most people didn't even own a computer, but now, just about everything we do requires one (or is, at the very least, easier to accomplish with one), which is kind of cracked if you think about it. And finally, we spent more money on computers over the past few years than my first three cars cost collectively, and that's kind of cracked, too.
Oh. And that it is absolutely smart to back up all of your stuff all of the time so you have access to it in cases such as this one.
At least the computer repair guys did that for me right away, free of charge (they probably felt sorry for me for being so blatantly ignorant). And they might know what's wrong and how to fix my computer by Tuesday of next week. Tuesday! Apparently they've never seen a screen die the way that mine did (it still glows, but there is no picture). So, if you've ever had that happen, please share your wisdom with me.
Anyway, I just wanted to explain why I have been MIA this past week. My kids are gone today, so I have stolen their computer and plan to be as productive as I can today so I have new recipes to offer you next week. I can't believe how much I missed writing this blog!
These Mushroom and Pepper Sandwiches are one of our favorite quick to prepare meals; easy, tasty, filling, healthy. I much prefer to make them on the grill, but it's cold out there, baby, and they taste great made in the kitchen, too. In the main picture, you'll see that I've wrapped them in homemade pitas, but they are most excellent with the vegetables and cheese piled between a sliced loaf of ciabatta as well.
Mushroom and Pepper Sandwiches
Serves 6
- 2 - 3 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms, wiped clean, stems removed
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeds and stem removed and thinly sliced into long strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed and thinly sliced into long strips
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz (2 cups) smoked provolone, shredded
- 6 warm pitas or 1 loaf ciabatta bread, horizontally sliced in half
Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Place mushrooms in hot skillet, top side down; season gill side with salt and pepper.
Cook for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip the mushrooms (if pan is dry, add another 1 Tbs olive oil) and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender; about another 4-5 minutes.
Remove the mushrooms from pan and set aside.
Add the remaining 1 Tbs olive oil to the pan. Toss the onions, peppers, and garlic into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring only occasionally so the vegetables get a nice sear (don't burn them).
Stir in the oregano or Italian seasoning, salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender; about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms into 1/4 inch slices.
When the vegetables are tender, stir in the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Remove from heat.
Divide the filling evenly between the warm pitas. Top each with shredded smoked provolone and fold the pita tightly. If you are using a ciabatta loaf, pile all of the filling on the bottom half of the bread, top with all of the cheese, and place under a broiler until the cheese has melted. Top the filling with the other half of the bread and cut into 6 sandwiches.







Wow...that looks delicious!!! I just finished lunch and I'm wishing I had those instead! Thanks for the great new recipe!
ReplyDeleteI hope you enjoy them as much as we do, Becky!
Delete