Friday, February 17, 2012

Chocolate Cherry Power Bars


Finally!  I've finally been able to post at least one chocolate based recipe this month and now I can join all of the amazing bloggers who have contributed to the #chocolatelove blog hop!  February has been such a busy month for us that I wasn't able to co-host this month, but below my recipe, you'll find a list of all of the rockin' bloggers that did host February's #chocolatelove bloghop, as well as a list of the delectable recipes that have been shared so far.

For several years before my kids were born, I worked for a company well known in the natural health industry.  This recipe is one that has been a staple since those days.  My stained old recipe card, which is officially older than my teenage kids, is simply titled "Power Bars" and the original recipe goes like this:
  • 1 c honey
  • 1 c peanut butter
  • 1/2 c carob powder
  • 1 c sunflower meats
  • 1 c shredded coconut
  • 1 c almonds
  • 1 c rolled oats
  • 1 c raisins
And that's it.  There are no instructions because it's so silly easy; mix it together, then eat it.

Over the years, I've changed the recipe very little, but I'll let you in on a little secret - the measurements are all correct, so you can substitute any similar ingredients you like.  For instance, I like carob well enough, but I like cocoa just a little bit better.  I like raisins, but I like dried cherries or cranberries, too.  I like peanut butter, but I also really like almond butter.  I have substituted the almonds for walnuts or hazelnuts.  No honey?  Try brown rice syrup.  This recipe has lasted this long because I can change it depending on what I have on hand and what we all like at the moment.  Those kinds of recipes are called "keepers", folks.

These tasty, healthy little treats are similar to chewy granola bars, but do not need to be baked.  They are crazy easy to whip together and they taste amazing.

A few quick notes, though; when converting a recipe calling for carob powder to one that uses cocoa powder, generally use a little less cocoa powder because it has a stronger flavor.  In this recipe, I used the same amount because I like it like that - fudgy.  Also, be sure to refrigerate at least an hour (two is best) before eating these bars; the honey takes a while to do it's honey thing and if you eat them before it has had its time, the bars will taste very honey-like (not that that's a bad thing, really, but waiting allows all of the flavors to meld into some seriously yummy goodness).

Chocolate Cherry Power Bars

12-15 bars, depending on how you slice it

  • 1 c raw honey
  • 1 c natural peanut butter (preferably smooth, but crunchy works, too)
  • 1/2 c cocoa powder
  • 1 c raw sunflower meats
  • 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 c raw almonds, roughly chopped
  • 1 c rolled oats (not instant)
  • 1 c dried cherries



In a medium sauce pan, combine the honey, peanut butter and cocoa powder.  Heat over low heat until easy to mix.  Mix well.


In a large bowl, combine the sunflower meats, coconut, almonds, oats, and cherries.


Stir the chocolate peanut butter mixture into the oat and coconut mixture.  Mix well (you may want to forego the spoon and just use your hands).

Press the mixture into a 13x9 pan.


Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  With a sharp knife, cut into 12 or 15 bars.

Store in the refrigerator.

This recipe is also part of the Living Well Blog Hop #29 hosted at Common Sense Homestead 
and is a 


For more #chocolatelove and other fantastic recipes, check out these wonderful bloghop co-hosts! 


Please join in on the #chocolatelove fun by linking up any chocolate recipe from the month of February 2012!


ASTIG Vegan ~ Richgail ~ @astigvegan
Bon a croquer ~ Valerie ~ @Valouth
Easily Good Eats ~ Three Cookies
Oh Cake ~ Jessica ~ @jesshose






13 comments:

  1. These power bars looks absolutely delicious! Wow! Thank you for sharing, I'll have to give these a try sometime, bookmarked! By the way, is the blog hop open to everyone? I'd love to submit a couple of recipes, or are we only allowed to submit one? Have a great weekend =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yes - the blog hop is absolutely open to anyone who wants to share a new chocolate recipe from the month of Feb! Please share away! (I forgot to add that to my post, so I'm off to edit it - thanks for the reminder!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful power bar recipe. Your bars look yummy, and I like the flexibility of the recipe. I'm saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really tasty! I love anything with chocolate in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe...those would be great for taking along when we go hiking!
    http://healthycomfort.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I have almost all of your recipe's ingredients on hand (including the carob powder, believe it or not), so I am all set to make these tonight! I love the idea of energy bars and STILL have not made any. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so simple and nutritious! I'm not a big carob fan, so I think I'll be using cocoa instead. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, these look to DIE for! :) What a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicoius!! I need to give these a try, I'm a big snacker! I'm always looking for better granola bars to sneak around with me, I love the chocolate cherry combo, yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura your bars look yummy and delicious!Love the addition of shredded coconuts, as I just love anything coconut :)Healthy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMY! My teenage boys would love these for snacks! Looks heavenly too! Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...