Friday, September 9, 2011

Versatile, Rich Vegetable Broth


I wasn't sure I wanted to spend an entire post on broth.  But then, as I considered all the cooking ahead for the next season (or two), broth is kind of an important component.  So, if you don't already know how to make a good, inexpensive broth, I'm posting this one for you.  Do you think a sequence of posts about broth basics would be helpful; chicken, beef, mushroom, etc?  If so, let me know.  Perhaps I can do a sort of "Broth Basics" set.

At any rate, with the season of soups, stews, dressings, and holiday cooking nearing (is it that time already?), broths and stocks are an indispensable pantry staple.   All summer long, I stash the ends of carrots, celery, onions, and the tops of garlic bulbs (cut to make roasted garlic with the rest of the bulb) in a large Ziploc bag in my freezer just so I can make gallons of vegetable broth to freeze for the season.  Vegetable broth is, in my opinion, the most versatile broth because it is flavorful enough to be used in many meat-based broth soup recipes, and rich enough to even take on the usually beef broth-based French Onion Soup.  It is inexpensive, and in some cases, down right free, because it can provide a use for all those parts of the vegetable we would usually toss out or compost.   And it's easy; there is little labor or time involved, no deboning or defatting, just a little chopping and dumping.  Love the vegetable broth.

Mostly comprised of root vegetables, this broth gains its earthiness from the mushrooms.  A basic button mushroom will suffice, but a meaty flavored portobello or cremini is ideal for that rich, full flavor.  And be sure to use the whole head of garlic - peeling isn't necessary, but do separate the cloves and crack them by smacking them with the side of a knife and remove the excess paper.

It's true that roasting the vegetables first will result in a richer broth, but I've found that giving them a good char in some oil in the stock pot works just as well.  If you choose to skip the first step, roast the vegetables tossed in olive oil in a 400F oven for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, before continuing on to the 2nd step.

I've added cup ratios for those of you who, like me, stash veggie ends in the freezer for the sole purpose of making broth.  If you are not using "parts", chop your vegetables into 1" pieces.  And, really, the amounts listed are just a guideline; use what you have. That's the wonderful thing about this broth.

Rich, Versatile Vegetable Broth
yield 2 quarts
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 cups largely chunked onion (1 1/2 large onions)
  • 2 cups chunked carrots and peels (2-3 large carrots)
  • 1 cup chunked celery, including leaves (2-3 stalks)
  • 2 cups chunked leek, white and light green parts only (about 2 leeks)
  • 1 bulb garlic, cloves cracked and separated, no need to peel
  • 2-3 c roughly chopped cleaned mushrooms, including stems (about 8 oz)
  • 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme sprigs
  • handful fresh parsley sprigs
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
  • 10 cups water
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.  Stir in vegetables, and cook 5-7 minutes or until lightly charred and semi-tender.

Add in thyme, parsley, bay leaves, salt, peppercorns and water.



Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium.  Simmer uncovered 1 1/2 hours.

Place a mesh strainer over a large bowl.  For an extra clear broth, line the strainer with 1 layer of cheese cloth.  Carefully pour the broth into the strainer.

Let the cooked vegetables rest and drain over the broth bowl for at least 5 minutes.  You can press the vegetables with the back of a large spoon to squeeze any remaining broth, but this will result in a cloudier broth (personally, I don't care, and I usually press).

Store in the refrigerator for a few days, or freeze in usable amounts (I freeze in quarts).

2 comments:

  1. I have been saving (and freezing) many of my left over veggies, etc to make some broth. I plan to can mine, but I need to re-read the instructions for the pressure canner :)

    Thanks for the Liebster award! I can't get enough of your blog either! :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...