Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Three Bean Chili (Vegetarian)


Years ago when I switched my diet over to completely vegetarian, and was on my never ending search for recipes that helped my family "not miss the meat", I came across one of Rachael Ray's cookbooks called Veggie Meals: Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals.  This book is so chock full of delicious, easy recipes, it's still a staple in my cookbook library.  The very first recipe in it is called Chili for Veg Heads (the name on her website is Veg Head Three Bean Chili).  I made it.  Everyone absolutely loved it, and it became a part of our regular meal rotation.

Over the years, my diet has become more "flexitarian" than vegetarian (although, I'm still primarily vegetarian, but I can't exactly call myself that anymore). And as my diet and food philosophies have changed, I've altered several of those original tasty recipes that we so enjoyed.  This chili recipe was inspired by the one in Rachael Ray's book, using fresh tomatoes, more beans, oregano, and corn.  It is still vegetarian, still healthy, and still delicious.

A little word about chili peppers:  wear gloves when cutting them, and choose the variety wisely.  It should go without saying, but if you get the oils from those peppers on your fingers while handling them, and then you rub your eyes or take out your contacts, you will be in some serious pain (at best - ask me how I know).  Buy some gloves, keep them in your kitchen drawer, and use them.  Also be sure to wash your board and knife when you are done cutting those peppers.  With regard to variety, jalapeno and serrano chilis are a safe, spicy bet.  If you know your chilis, then you need not take my advice.  If you do not, I will share my experience with you.

I am a chili pepper novice.  I use them, I like them, but I'm still not savvy to all the different kinds available.  Some time ago, my husband and I bought some cute little Thai chilis from the farmer's market and I used them in this chili.  Some are red and some are green, some are even purple.  They are also tiny.  So I used six of them, seeds and all.

I don't think they are very cute anymore.

I thought for sure my lips would burn and fall right off.  They didn't, of course, so if you like that sort of thing, go ahead, but I learned my lesson rather quickly; the smaller the chili, the hotter it is, and the seeds and membrane are where most of the heat is harbored.

Three Bean Chili (Vegetarian)
serves 6-8
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1-2 chili peppers (jalapeno, serrano, etc), chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bottle beer
  • 6 c. chopped tomato (and the juice)
  • 2 Tbs cumin (or more if you prefer)
  • 2 Tbs chili powder (or more if you prefer)
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 c cooked pinto beans
  • 1 1/2 c cooked kidney beans
  • 1 1/2 c cooked black beans
  • 1 c corn (either fresh or frozen)
Toppings
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • sliced green onions
  • sour cream
  • avocado
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat.  Stir in onions and peppers.  Cook, stirring, about 5-7 minutes, or until tender.  Add garlic; stir 1 minute.  


Pour in beer, stir vegetables, and simmer 2 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and ground black pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered 20 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and broth is thick.


Stir in beans and corn.  Simmer another 5 -7 minutes, or until heated through.

Serve topped with your choice of toppings.  Scoop with tortilla chips, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...