Thursday, September 15, 2011

Naturally Sweet Apple Crisp


I'm still working through all the apples my parents gave us from before I posted about the Apple Pocket Pies! Applesauce, pie filling, cakes, muffins, apple butter, and this delicious apple crisp.  And in anticipation of the October Unprocessed 2011 Pledge going on over at Andrew Wilder's Eating Rules, I'm dehydrating some apples to use in granola for breakfast "cereal" (which will be one of my family's biggest struggles during the month).

I'm really excited about the pledge; we usually eat very little processed food, but there are a few hurdles we still need to get over; breakfast cereal is a favorite, quick choice for my son, crackers are well loved by everyone, and I'm sure there are a few more that don't scream out to me right now.  Over the course of October, I wonder what else we'll find that we have overlooked.  I'm planning to post our weekly menus along with recipes, and hopefully that will help some of you with ideas about how to proceed.  If you haven't already signed up, head over to Eating Rules and check it out.

I would have no problem with my family eating this apple crisp for breakfast, though. This recipe, originally from a very old country church cookbook in my Stack O' Cookbooks, has been adapted over the years to accommodate my huge disdain for processed sugar (the original recipe had 2 cups!).  It is now sweetened only by apples and maple syrup, which are sweet enough all on their own as far as I'm concerned.  Don't be alarmed by the giant pan of apples and the seemingly small amount of topping - it all works out after the apples cook down in the oven.  For the oil, I usually use butter, but I found when I made a vegan version for some of our friends that I really, really liked the way this crisp tasted with unrefined coconut oil; just the barest hint of coconut, and the topping held together more or less as well as it had with butter.  So feel free to use either butter or unrefined coconut oil (I buy whichever is available; either Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or  Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil).  A combination of both butter and coconut oil is nice, too, but be sure they are both melted to liquid form before adding them to this recipe.

Naturally Sweet Apple Crisp
supposed to serve 12, but we've never made it past 8

  • 10 c apples, thinly sliced (peeled or not)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbs flour
  • 1 c pure maple syrup
  • 1 1/4 c rolled oats (not quick cooking)
  • 1 c flour (unbleached white or whole wheat or a combination)
  • 1/2 c pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder (such as Rumford)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 c chopped raw nuts (I prefer walnuts, but pecans are delicious, too)
  • 1/2 c butter or unrefined coconut oil (or a combination)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place the apples in a 9x13 baking dish.  Sprinkle with 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 Tbs flour.  Pour 1 c maple syrup over all, then toss lightly to mix.


In another bowl, combine oats, flour, 1/2 c maple syrup, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nuts and butter/coconut oil.  Mix well.


Using your hands, sprinkle the mixture over the top of the apples (mixture will be too wet to "sprinkle" with a spoon).


Bake in preheated oven about 45 minutes, or until apples are fork tender and topping begins to brown.

Cool at least 20 minutes before serving.

10 comments:

  1. I love apple crisp! I usually wind up making apple crumbles, but I wanted a crisp recipe for ages. This one looks perfect! I am going to make it tomorrow, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of your blog. It fits right in with my constant quest to cook light and satisfying food. Apple crisp is my very favorite dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm apple crisp. I've made only peach cobblers, along those lines, and an apple crisp sounds heavenly right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mother Rimmy:-) I like your site, too! Glad to see you joined Eating Rules October Unprocessed - it's going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I just made a plum crumble with all of the plums from a tree at my parents house.

    Jenny @ Savour the Senses
    http://savourthesenses.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love to use maple syrup in desserts as well! Can't wait to follow your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Healthnutfoodie - we are excited about the challenge, too! But the challenge isn't mine; it's going on over at Eating Rules (http://www.eatingrules.com/). If you haven't yet, head on over there to sign up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...