Homemade chicken stock is both nutritious and delicious because of its use of bones and the long simmering time, both of which are key to achieving a concentrated, flavorful stock. For the chicken parts, I use backs, legs, and if I've got them on hand, wings. The reason I do this is two-fold; for one, these parts are generally less expensive (even organic, but it's unlikely you'll find them separated like this from the farmer) and because dark meat tends to have much more flavor in a situation like this. Since no one at our house eats the wings when I bake chicken, I put them in an already established freezer bag filled with other wings. I also will toss the backs and legs into the same bag if I'm only using the breasts in a specific dish.
After simmering, the stock will yeild about 2 quarts, and the chicken will produce about three cups of meat. I divide the meat in half (1 1/2 c per package) and freeze it so I will be able to use it in two different dishes.
Chicken Stock
yeilds 2 quarts
cooking time: 6 hours
After simmering, the stock will yeild about 2 quarts, and the chicken will produce about three cups of meat. I divide the meat in half (1 1/2 c per package) and freeze it so I will be able to use it in two different dishes.
Chicken Stock
yeilds 2 quarts
cooking time: 6 hours
- 4-5 lbs chicken parts (preferably organic)
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 3-4 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 stalks celery, including leaves, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10-12 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 6 qts water
Combine everything in a large stock pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered. For the first hour, skim the foam from the top of the soup and discard.
Continue to simmer another 5 hours (for a total of 6 hours) or until liquid has reduced by about half.
![]() |
| You can see the original liquid line |
Position a fine mesh strainer or a colander lined with 1 layer of cheese cloth over a large bowl or another stock pot. Slowly pour the stock into the strainer and allow the liquid to drain through. Set the chicken and vegetables aside to cool.* Check the stock and if there are any food or herb particles, strain again. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate for several hours.
Once the stock has been refrigerated, the fat will rise to the top. Using a spoon or skimmer, remove the fat.
Once the stock has been refrigerated, the fat will rise to the top. Using a spoon or skimmer, remove the fat.
Your stock is now ready to use. Refrigerate and use within three days, or freeze in appropriate portions for your cooking applications.
*Remove the chicken meat from the bones and skin. There should be about three cups of meat. Refrigerate and use within three days or freeze. Mash the vegetables for use in thickening soups, if desired (or feed them to your dogs like I do - they love them!).
*Remove the chicken meat from the bones and skin. There should be about three cups of meat. Refrigerate and use within three days or freeze. Mash the vegetables for use in thickening soups, if desired (or feed them to your dogs like I do - they love them!).



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.