Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pasta Puttanesca


This is seriously one of the easiest and fastest tomato sauces to toss together for pasta ever.  I suppose "easy" and "fast" are most apt descriptions, considering the translation (puttanesca being a derogatory term for a streetwalker sort of gal).  Personally, I think it's kind of funny - the spice from the crushed red peppers seems to denote and angry streetwalker, and the salty brine of the olives and capers gives her a bit of a bite, keeping her interesting, I suppose.  I like to think she may have needed a glass of wine to balance her out, so I add it to my version of the classic Puttanesca sauce.  The wine does take some of the spicy edge off the dish and makes it a little sweeter, but it also adds depth, which I quite like.

I believe a traditional Puttanesca contains anchovies, and if you would like to add them, simply add about 4-6 anchovies in with the garlic at the beginning, and saute until they have melted.

Pasta Puttanesca
serves 6
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3 1/2 c chopped tomatoes*
  • 1/2 c dry red wine, optional
  • 1 tsp dried oregano (or about 1 Tbs chopped fresh)
  • 1/2 c Kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 3 Tbs capers, drained
  • 1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
  • 12-14 oz whole grain spaghetti pasta
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

Meanwhile, in a 12" skillet, saute the garlic and red pepper flakes in the olive oil over medium heat until the garlic is tender; about 1 minute.

Stir in the tomatoes, red wine, and oregano; reduce heat to medium low.  *If using fresh tomatoes, simmer for about 15 minutes, and if using pre-packaged tomatoes, simmer for about 5 - 6 minutes, or until it has a nice pasta sauce consistency.  Stir occasionally.


Stir in the olives, capers and parsley.  Continue to simmer another 5 minutes.


Toss with hot pasta.  Serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Don't forget that during the whole month of January, the #citruslove blog  hop is going on!  Check out my Lemon Thyme Chicken Strips post for a constantly updating list of fabulous citrus themed recipes and links to all of my fabulous co-host's blogs for more great recipes!



10 comments:

  1. I love a good puttanesca - spicy is best! Looks like a fantastically flavorful version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it spicy, too! Usually, I don't measure - just dump in the pepper flakes. This time I measured everything, right down to the olives (1/2 cup equals exactly 27 pitted olives ;-) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Yum! And I love your description of the background of the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously one of my favorite pastas!! and you've done a fabulous version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...Amazing that pasta looks so delicious and yumm...hope can make it for diners time, thanks for share

    http://foodfresh.bogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. I love the addition of wine. I have made a Puttanesca in the past but it has been ages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious!
    I just found your blog and loved it! Am a happy follower now!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy and fast... but these ingredients make your sauce burst with flavor. How can one only have one bowl?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...