Some of the simplest things in life are the very best things. Roasted garlic is one of those simple little pleasures that just leave me loving everything after only one bite.
My husband has been after me to write a post about roasted garlic, something that is always readily available in our fridge. "But it's too easy," I would say. "So?" he'd say. "So, every one already knows how to do it," I'd say. "I didn't," he'd say, and then he'd proceed to list numerous people we know who don't even know how to peel a garlic clove, much less how to generate some rockin' roasted garlic spread.
"But anyone who wants to know how to do it can just google it and come with up with millions of places to find out how to do it," I'd say. "But, they might not think of it," he'd counter.
Good point.
So, if you don't already know how to make roasted garlic spread, this is for you. And if you do know how to do it, but haven't for a while, this is to inspire you to make some.
We always have roasted garlic in our fridge. I often roast several heads of garlic at one time, pour some extra olive oil over the top, and refrigerate it for use in dishes all week long. I use it in soups, stews, sauces, and dips, as well as a spread on bread or toast instead of plain old butter or olive oil.
There is no set oven temperature at which to roast garlic (really). I just stick it in whenever my oven is on. If you roast garlic on its own, I suggest roasting it at 425F (as the recipe below will reflect). However, I'll tuck some in while I'm baking bread at 450F (for about 30 - 35 min), or with the lasagna at 350F (for about 50 minutes); it takes a little longer or a little less time to roast, depending on the temperature, but it'll get done no matter what, so don't sweat it. The only other advice I can offer is not to allow it to roast for too long because if you do, the outer cloves get crunchy, so check it every so often to avoid that wasteful bit.
Here's how to roast garlic:
Heat oven to 425F.
Take a bulb of garlic (or several) and cut the top 1/3 off, saving those garlic bits for something else that calls for fresh garlic. Be sure the tops of all the cloves are exposed.
Place the bulb, cut side up, inside a small cooking vessel that will hold it (if you don't have one, foil will work). If I'm roasting just one bulb, I use a custard dish.
Pour 1 Tbs olive oil for each bulb over the garlic. Sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, and, if you'd like, some dried oregano, basil, or Italian seasoning.
Cover tightly with foil (if using only foil, wrap well, sealing so the oil won't leak while in the oven).
Roast for approximately 40 - 45 minutes, or until the cloves are very tender.
Cool slightly. Pop out all the cloves into the reserved oil.
Mash like crazy until it looks too good to eat.
If you are storing the garlic, pour a little oil over the top and refrigerate.






I love roasted garlic! Looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI am drooling just thinking about it. I love this stuff.
ReplyDelete