For the most part, I'm not a "gadget gal". I prefer to work with a few key tools (knives, an assortment of pots and pans, a few utensils, an oven, my hands...). The reasons I have for this include the fact that I have very little storage space in my kitchen, not a lot of counter space to place a large gadget, and I hate having to disassemble and hand-wash things with many parts. I do have a food processor, but I don't use it for chopping (in fact, I don't use it much at all, except to make nut butters, bean dips, and a few other things). I have a blender that I haven't used more than once or twice in fifteen years. Beyond that, my gadgets include a slow cooker (okay, I have two of those), a $10 hand held electric mixer and a garlic press. And an electric ice cream maker (because I'm not willing to haul out a bucket of salt to work that cream). I secretly want a KitchenAid mixer, but I haven't taken the plunge yet; the food processor took me almost five years of justification before I finally bought one, so with my ability to over-think myself out of purchases, I may never actually get one.
My husband, however, is a "gadget guy". He's the one who bought the griddle, the waffle maker, the (now deceased) microwave, the toaster, the meat thermometer, the injector, the ice cream scoop, etc. For Christmas, he bought a juicer, and he has been using it faithfully every day (sometimes more than once). In fact, our son has been using it daily, also. While I would never have bought one of my own accord, the juice made from it is so fresh, so tasty, and so healthy, I think I'm okay with the purchase.
Here is the simple smoothie that inspired the frozen yogurt:
It includes only two green apples, two oranges, and 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt. It reminded me of an Orange Julius (remember those? I haven't had one since 8th grade, so it likely doesn't taste exactly like one, but it's the first thing I thought of when I tasted it).
We decided to add another 1/4 c of the Greek yogurt (for a total of 1/2 cup), and toss it all into the ice cream maker. Twenty minutes later, we had the dessert (or, in our case, breakfast) you see in the main photo. My kids think ice cream for breakfast is pretty cool. And I kind of do, too.
Strawberries, bananas, mint, or vanilla would all be great additions. I wanted to share the basic idea with you to show you how tasty something so simple can be. What you do from there is entirely up to you.
If you don't currently own either a juicer or ice cream maker, you can find the ones that I have in my Amazon store (off to the left of the page, under "other items"). I am not endorsing any of the companies; I'm sure there are better ones, I'm sure there are worse ones, more expensive ones, and cheaper ones, so if you are looking for either of these products, do your homework. I am pretty happy with the quality and cost of the ones we have, though. The image of the ice cream maker is the newer version of the same one I have, which I've had for about seven or eight years.
Apple and Orange Frozen Yogurt
makes 3 scoops (how many servings that makes is completely up to you)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, core removed
- 2 navel oranges, peeled
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1/2 tsp vanilla, optional (only if you are using plain yogurt)
Put the fruit through the juicer according to manufacturers instructions.
Stir the yogurt (and vanilla, if using) into the juice. Place the mixture into your ice cream maker, and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. (Mine took 20 minutes)
Eat.
Please join in on the #citruslove fun by linking up any citrus recipe from the month of January 2012. Don't forget to link back to this post so that your readers know to stop by the #citruslove event! The twitter hashtag is #citruslove.
Citruslove Blog Hop Co-Hosts
Baker Street ~ Anuradha ~ @bakerstreet29
BigFatBaker ~ Erin ~ @BigFatBaker
CafeTerraBlog ~ Terra ~ @CafeTerraBlog
Cake Duchess ~ Lora ~ @cakeduchess
Elephant Eats ~ Amy
Georgiecakes ~ Georgie ~ @georgiecakes
Hobby And More ~ Richa ~ @betit19
Mike's Baking ~ Mike ~ @mikesbaking
Mis Pensamientos ~ Junia ~ @juniakk
Peaches and Donuts ~ Sylvia ~ @PeachesandDonut
Savoring Every Bite ~ Linda ~ @Spicegirlfla
Simply Reem ~ Reem ~ @simplyreem
Smart Food and Fit ~ Lisa ~ @LisaNutrition
Soni's Food for Thought ~ Soni ~ @sonisfood
The Art of Cooking Real Food ~ Laura ~ @TAofCRF
The Spicy RD ~ EA ~ @thespicyrd
The Wimpy Vegetarian ~ Susan ~ @wimpyvegetarian
Vegan Yack Attack! ~ Jackie ~ @veganyackattack
Vegetarian Mamma ~ Cindy ~ @VegetarianMamma
You Made That? ~ Suzanne ~ @YouMadeThatblog




Wow, that sounds fabulous! I've never attempted to make frozen yogurt, but this flavor would be a winning dish in my home :)
ReplyDeleteWith a machine, it's as easy as dumping it in, turning it on, and waiting. It's great!
DeleteWhat an interesting combination of apples and oranges...love the idea!!
ReplyDeleteI know - so contrasting, but the apples cover the sweetness, the yogurt covers the richness, and of course, the oranges cover the...orangishness... :-)
DeleteOoh. I love these flavors!
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic! I have to say - I AM a gadget girl! I have four crock pots and two mixers as well as a stand mixer! I also have two bread machines and jut about everything else!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so good! I've been thinking about buying an ice cream maker, but I am like you in being weary of how many appliances I have in my kitchen. But, I think I'll be buying one soon, I just can't handle all of the delicious recipes I see using them!
ReplyDeleteYou will never buy ice cream again! We love ours.
DeleteOh I do remember the Orange Julius! Loved them! How exciting that your smoothie reminds of it because now I definitely will have to make it! Love both the smoothie and the yogurt. This is some GOOOOOD citrus love! :)
ReplyDeleteHomemade ice cream would always be the best! I salute those people who create their own food! :)
ReplyDelete