Thursday, November 3, 2011

Roasted Squash and Cauliflower


November, when did you get here?  Cold, windy, rainy, shorter days...thanks a bunch, November.  East Coasters - you have my sympathy.  I hope you've all dug yourselves out and the sun is beginning to melt your cold, white blanket.

This mildly sweet and somewhat savory dish is an easy side that comes together easily and compliments just about any main course; we had it with a chicken/cabbage/beer concoction, and it was perfect.  I baked the chicken/cabbage/beer concoction (which will be posted just as soon as I come up a decent name) at 400 degrees, so this roasted squash and cauliflower went into my oven at a lower temperature than what I recommend in the recipe, but it didn't affect the final outcome at all.

Roasted Squash and Cauliflower
serves 6

  • 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs), broken into florets
  • 1 small butternut squash (about 2 - 2 1/2 lbs) , peeled, seeded, and diced into 1 chunks
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
  • 5-6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 Tbs butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
  • several sprigs fresh thyme (about 10 - 12)

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine cauliflower, squash, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a 13x9 baking pan.  Arrange butter pieces over the top.  Tuck the thyme into the vegetables.


Bake 30-40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring once about half way through the baking time.


18 comments:

  1. I love this particular combination for roasting, especially with herbs. I've also done a curried version that was great. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considered yourself buzzed on foodbuzz. I've never thought to roast cauliflower. It's really awesome that posted this and got me thinking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! All of my favorites ingredients roasted in one yummy dish! Very nicely done!

    I'm now following you on Google Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I love the colors! (love autumn food) Luckily all the snow melted away here in NJ, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cauliflower never makes it into my cart when I'm shopping and I don't know why, it's great roasted, mashed, or thrown into pasta with other herbs and vegetables. I love what you did here with the squash. I won't forget to throw it into the cart this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! I love roasted cauliflower and squash but never thought to put them together. Thanks for the great recipe! I know Manatee is going to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never would've thought to pair cauliflower & squash, but that sounds delicious! Plus, I love anything oven-roasted. It has such good flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are some of my favorite veggies together! i love the simplicity of roasted veggies. cauliflower is SOO good :). sending some #squashlove to u!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for participating in Squash Love with the links to boot!

    I cannot wait for my cauliflower to be ready for eating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love roasted cauliflower... I'm certain I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. perfect side dish to anything! it's easy and healthy!

    nice meeting you at #squashlove! looking forward for more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I added my post to the blog hop. Thanks for letting me know. I will be making some more squash recipes so i will try to include the blog hop info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, like the simplicity and creativeness with this tasty recipe. Look forward to exploring your site and finding more yummy recipes. Nice to meet you here on bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny, I love both roasted squash and roasted cauliflower but I never thought to roast them together! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks perfect for a cold day,YUM! Hugs, Terra www.cafeterrablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This is so simple yet the flavours are awesome! I will definitely be making this!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...