I have a confession to make.
I hate green bean casserole.
My whole family hates green bean casserole.
There.
Are you still here?
Good. Whew! (Because I know those are fightin' words.)
This year, though, I've been inspired to devise a green bean casserole that my family does like just because, well, everyone eats a green bean casserole at Thanksgiving, and I just want to be cool, too.
The one I came up with is a make-ahead version that I can whip up the day before. It includes both green beans and Brussels sprouts, roasted along with some red onions and fresh seasonings, and topped with mushrooms sauteed in wine and broth. The next day, simply sprinkle it with bacon and parmesan cheese and reheat in the oven with whatever is already cooking. The result is a delicious side dish, full of roasted, earthy flavors, without any sog or cream (which, I think, is what throws me off about the traditional green bean casserole - at least, the ones I've tasted).
I tested it out on my sometimes painfully honest family tonight. Even my mushroom-hating son (who picked the mushrooms off and gave them to me) liked it. We all even went back for seconds, and everyone agreed it would be a fantastic addition to our Thanksgiving table. Feeling pretty good tonight, ladies and gentlemen, because having everyone simultaneously like something is no small feat in my family.
*Oh, and remember, especially if you are using a glass or ceramic casserole dish, to take the dish out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before putting it in the oven so the casserole dish doesn't explode or crack from the temperature change.
Decidedly Not Green Bean Casserole
serves 8
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 lb fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, loose leaves removed
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 12 wedges
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 strips bacon
- 12 oz mixed mushrooms such as cremini, shitake, oyster, sliced (I used cremini and shitake)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 c dry white wine (such as Chardonnay)
- 1/2 c vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425F.
Combine green beans, Brussels sprouts, onions, pressed garlic, olive oil, 1 tsp fresh thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Turn out onto two (2) jelly roll pans. Roast in preheated oven 20-25 minutes, turning once half way through.
Meanwhile, in a 12" skillet, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy, turning once. Remove to a paper towel.
Drain all but 2 Tbs bacon fat from pan. Add the mushrooms, minced garlic, and remaining 1/2 tsp freshly chopped thyme to the hot pan and bacon drippings.
Saute 8-10 minutes, or until tender and juice has evaporated.
Pour in the wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has nearly evaporated - 1-2 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable or chicken stock. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has nearly evaporated - 2-3 minutes.
Place the roasted green beans, Brussels sprouts and onion mixture into a 2 quart baking dish.
Top evenly with mushroom mixture.
To make ahead: Cool and cover with foil. Crumble bacon and place in a Ziploc sandwich bag. Place the Parmesan cheese in a separate Ziploc bag. Tape bags to casserole.
To reheat: Place, covered, into an oven at least 325 F. Heat until warm (I tested this at 350F and it took 25 minutes - adjust your time accordingly based on the oven temperature. Remember, you only need to warm it, not cook it). Uncover and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook 10 min longer, or until cheese is melted.









Amen! We have green bean casserole, too. My mother is making the green beans this year and I am forwarding this recipe to her. I would love it if you would enter this in my blog hop. www.savannashsavorybites.com
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting version! I love green beans (not necessarily casserole-style, that's an American thing I'm not yet used to), but I love most veggies, and this looks like quite a glorious dish!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Savannah, for the invitation - I'd love to join your blog hop :-) If you don't mind, I shared your hop and site on my facebook page. You have a lovely site!
ReplyDeleteThanks, healthyfoodietravels - I don't love vegetable type casseroles a ton, either; I'm a salt-and-pepper-and-maybe-some-butter kinda gal. In some areas of America they are called "hot dishes" rather than casseroles. Just an FYI if you come across one and don't know quite what that is - that's what they are called where I live.
ReplyDeleteI like your version much better! I'm with you - I hate those soup swamped green bean casseroles. I've saved this one. :)
ReplyDeleteThis looks delicious! I like green bean casserole, but not the stuff where you dump can after can in a pot and call it a side dish....this one looks amazing and I like the addition of brussels sprouts!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do like the traditional green bean casserole, this one sounds light-years better! Love all the different flavours and vegetables- I'm definitely going to make this one.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I hate it too. I find it so disgusting. The problem is that everyone else loves it and thinks I am crazy. I think this looks delicious. I probably would not get away with serving this at Thanksgiving but I am definitely going to try it out.
ReplyDeleteAs promised, I made this for our small Thanksgiving celebration and it was stellar! I really like the creaminess of the traditional GBC, so I made the mushrooms into a quick soup with the wine, stock, and some added milk and cornstarch. I also kept the crispy onion topping instead of the bacon. It was soooo good. Definitely stole the show. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I can't wait to make it again.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you liked it! I suppose it would be easy for the people who like the traditional casserole to just add some milk or cream - I never even thought of it! What a great idea - thank you for coming back to share your results!
ReplyDelete