Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Rutabagas


The cornbread has been made and is waiting to be turned into stuffing, the pies are in the oven, the sides are being prepped.  And now I'm taking a small break to share Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Rutabagas with you.  I haven't made them ahead of time before, but there is only so much room in my oven, on my stove top, and in my tiny kitchen on Thanksgiving morning, so I'm giving it a shot.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

I like to add the rutabagas and garlic to what would otherwise just be mashed sweet potatoes because the spiciness of the rutabaga and the depth of the garlic work so well to counter the sweetness of the sweet potato.  My children don't usually like sweet potatoes very much, but they gobble these like mad.

Today I am thankful for my family, my friends, my dogs, my cat, my home, and all this wonderful food we will be sharing tomorrow.

I'm also thankful that the farm from which I ordered my turkey drove to town so we didn't have to drive the 30 minutes to them to pick it up.  Wonderful, thoughtful people.

I'm extremely thankful that no dog has stolen any of my prepared food (yet).

I'm thankful that it is cold enough outside to store some the food out there because my fridge is practically bursting (another thing for which I'm thankful).

And I'm thankful for all of my readers - you give me a reason to keep sharing recipes and that makes me very, very happy.  Thank you.

Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Rutabagas
serves 6

  • 2lbs sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
  • 1lb rutabagas (about 1 medium/large)
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste







Chop vegetables into 1 inch chunks.  Combine potatoes, rutabaga, and garlic in a large pot.


 Add water to cover.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 10-12 minutes).

Strain and return to the pot (or a large bowl).  Add butter, broth, thyme, salt and pepper.


For a little texture: whip with a hand held mixer for several minutes or until it has reached your desired consistancy.

For puree:  transfer in batches to a food processor and puree.


Happy Thanksgiving

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, I just recently had my first ever rutabaga - it was delicious! I can imagine it going extremely well with sweet potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a perfect side for my Thanksgiving table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, this dish looks soo delicious!I'm curious about rutabaga.Never had it before or heard about it.Curious to know how it tastes and is it readily available?Would love to try this recipe since my husband is a big fan of sweet potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soni - a rutabaga is a root veg (late season; fall) similar to a turnip, but with a mild bite. You should be able to find them in the grocery store near the onions and potatoes. They are often coated in a wax so they keep longer, and even if they are not, they still need to be peeled, like a carrot. I like them cooked by themselves, whipped liked mashed potatoes, with butter and salt, but when it's mixed with the sweet potatoes, it helps to decrease the immense sweetness.

      Hope you get to find some and give them a try!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...