Today I had planned to make lasagna for dinner. I had been busy all day cleaning and doing laundry (and other, similarly glamorous things) and running the kids to racquetball, running back to pick them up, and by the time I looked at the clock, it was already after 3pm. I realized I had to get started if we wanted to eat by 5p so I could somehow magically get both my daughter to her volunteer job at the library and my son to football practice by 6pm. I started hauling out the ingredients only to find I had no cottage cheese. None. And I just love cottage cheese in my lasagna. I tore the whole refrigerator apart looking for it because I know I put it on the grocery list when I made the week's menu. I finally had to come to terms with the fact that someone ate the cottage cheese, so I had to put all the other ingredients away. That took a while, and before I knew it, it was 3:45, and I had just over an hour to get dinner for 6 on the table.
I know some people work well under pressure. And I know lots of people love surprises. I don't do either well.
But that night, I did.
When I was tearing apart the fridge, I found some homemade refried beans and about 1/4 jar of salsa from a few days ago I had forgotten about. I also found an avocado that was on its last days for sure. I had tortillas in the freezer. We always have cheese (just not cottage, apparently). Quesadillas!
I feel badly that we were in such a hurry I didn't get to take a picture to show you. But, since these were so yummy, we will definitely be making them again, and I will get a picture then. Unless...you want to make them and send me a picture of your Vegetable Quesadillas using this recipe to post here! That would be super cool, especially since my pictures kind of stink (I'm so not a photographer). If you're game, leave a comment for me.
*Edited to add the pictures!
Vegetable Quesadillas
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15-16 oz can refried beans
- 1/4 c salsa
- 6-8 oz shredded cheese (I used PepperJack, but Cheddar or Monterey Jack would be great)
- 10 8" whole wheat tortillas
Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium/high heat. Saute peppers, onion, and garlic until crisp, but a little golden, about 5-6 min. Turn the heat to low, stir in cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, cover and let cook another 8-10 min, or until tender, but not mushy.
Meanwhile, combine the beans and salsa. Divide the mixture evenly between the tortillas, spreading it only on half of each tortilla (we will be folding them).
Divide the vegetable mixture between the bean covered tortillas, and then do the same with the shredded cheese. Fold in half.
In a small amount of olive oil (I used a pastry brush to spread it around), fry each quesadilla until golden, flipping to do the other side. If you use the same skillet, you should be able to fit two in at a time. I used a griddle, and was able to fit 5 on at a time, which was nice.
Cut each tortilla into 3 wedges and serve with salsa for dipping and sour cream or guacamole for smearing.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.