Friday, July 29, 2011

Grilled Portobello Burgers with Basil Avocado Spread


Generally, "eating local" is ideal because it is economic, healthy, and usually abundantly available.  The growing region in which I live has so much to offer, it's hard to believe that we might need anything other than what we already have.  But it's not hard to believe that we might want them.  I like oranges and orange juice, but we can't grow them here very successfully.  I like olives and olive oil, but again, not from here because our weather isn't forgiving enough to nurture those plants and trees.  What about lemons, limes, figs, and avocados?  No, no, no, and no.

With the citrus, we do have them available in the grocery store, but the flavor pales in comparison to where they thrive; an orange eaten in California or Florida tastes drastically different than an orange eaten in Wisconsin.  I can't attest to the flavor of the lemons and limes as well, but I have to assume the situation is similar.  My kids like oranges, so I will buy the oranges, but even though they've never eaten the fruit in its home region, they notice the severe fluctuations in flavor and quality, too.

Could we live a healthy life without those things?  Sure.  But personally, I rely on olive oil and lemons, at the very least, and they are pretty much staples in my home.  And I'm not ready to ditch coffee or the occasional chocolate.  So, I do make exceptions.   For me, oils and olives are exceptions because they are prepared and preserved before they are sold, as opposed to whole fruits and vegetables, allowing the rest of us to enjoy them as well.  And I do make exceptions for lemons because we don't eat them whole (like we do with oranges); we use them to flavor or enhance a dish made with our own local offerings, the same as we do with any other seasonings.  With cocoa and coffee, I look for fair trade and organic versions.  There are several whole foods we like that are not locally grown, such as mangoes, pineapples and bananas, and we do buy them during their growing seasons, but they are not staples because they are not grown here.

One such food is the avocado.  I don't buy them often, but I like them with bean based Mexican style foods, instead of sour cream, which I also like (and find in abundance locally).  And I love them with this grilled mushroom sandwich, even though I could probably either use a homemade mayonnaise instead of the avocado or just skip the smear all together and just use basil leaves, because I like all of those things, too.

So, for the most part, I'm okay with occasionally enjoying the fruits and vegetables of another region, as long as they are purchased during their growing season and not relied upon as staples, unless they are minimally prepared and preserved (such as the oils and olives).  It is important that we understand the vast amount of food our individual growing regions have to offer so we can enjoy as much of it as possible, in as many different ways as possible.  In today's society, it's a gift to be able to enjoy olive oils and specialty vinegars from Greece or Italy, wines from California and France, various nuts and beans and so on, but only if it's used in conjunction with a dish made primarily from locally grown foods.

Anyway, now that I've rambled, here's the recipe for these delicious barbecue fare "burgers".  I do want to mention a bit about the ciabatta bread, though.  If you need to purchase a premade loaf, try to find one that is extremely fresh so the crust is still soft enough to bite into without squishing all the sandwich contents out the sides (I can't stand it when that happens).  Otherwise, you might consider making one yourself.  I use the recipe in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois, and it's so easy;  just mix the flour, salt, yeast and water, let it rise, shape it and bake it - no kneading at all.  I absolutely love their breads and method.

Grilled Portobello Burgers with Basil Avocado Spread
Serves 6.  Approx 10 min prep time.  Approx 8 min cook time.

For the spread:

  • 2 avocados
  • 2 Tbs basil leaves, chopped
  • 2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, pressed (through a garlic press, or finely minced if you don't own a press)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper


For the mushrooms:
  • 6 large portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean
  • 2 large red bell peppers
  • 3 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, pressed
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper


  • Baby lettuce leaves
  • 1 16oz loaf ciabatta bread, sliced lengthwise and cut into 6 equal bun size portions


Place the mushrooms in a 13x9 pan, gill side up (if they don't fit flat in the pan, use a gallon size resealable storage bag).  In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper (to taste).  Pour over the mushrooms, turning the mushrooms to coat, but ending with gill side up again (if you are using a bag, pour the marinade in with the mushrooms and gently shake to coat).  Set aside.

Cut the top and bottom off the red bell peppers (reserve for another use). Run your knife around the inside to remove the core and seeds.  Slice each pepper into three square chunks, like this:


Set the peppers on top of the mushrooms (or toss them into the bag) and set aside.

Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.  Place the avocado into a small bowl along with the basil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt and pepper (to taste), and mash everything together with a fork.

Slather the basil avocado spread on the bottom half of each ciabatta "bun" and top with baby lettuce leaves.

Oil the grates and fire up the grill.  Place the peppers and mushrooms (gill side up) on the rack over direct heat, and grill about 4-5 minutes.  Turn the vegetables over and grill another 4-5 minutes, basting the tops of the mushrooms with any left over marinade.

Place one bell pepper square and one mushroom on top of each of the prepared ciabatta buns.  Place the top on the sandwich and serve.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...