Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Banana Walnut Muffins


Quick breads and muffins aren't really that difficult to build.  We need some heft (flour), some flavor (fruit/vegetable/spices), a riser (usually baking powder) and some glue (an egg).  Easy, right?  Well, a lot of muffin recipes call for sugar.  White sugar.  Processed sugar.  And I don't understand.

It's been a long time since I've used white sugar as anything other than a decoration, if I even care to use it for that much.  As far as sweeteners go, if the fruit itself isn't enough to spread around, I tend to rely on the most natural of all sweeteners; honey.

For as much as I love and use honey, I have to say I have a soft spot for maple syrup.

My grandfather tapped the trees on his land, harvested the sap, and cooked it down to that sweet, delicate, thin liquid we poured on our pancakes and waffles.  I even dipped my bacon or sausage it, and it was good.  Darn good.

But guess what.  Maple syrup isn't just for breakfast anymore.

When my children were born, I started playing around with different natural sweeteners so I could avoid giving those new and perfect little bodies straight up processed white sugar.  Local raw honey and local maple syrup worked as a great substitute in nearly every recipe I tried them.

In your search for real maple syrup (please don't waste your money on "pancake syrup" or amost-but-not-quite maple syrup - read your labels!), look locally.  If you absolutely can't find any within a decent drive-able radius, get online and buy from as close to home as possible.  If you do have to drive far, it's a good idea to stock up.

Here is a favorite muffin recipe using maple syrup from a local source.  They are super moist and just sweet enough to let the flavor of the banana be the star. I hope you like them.

Banana Walnut Muffins


  • 1 c whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 c rolled oats (not quick cooking)   
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 c canola, olive, or coconut oil
  • 1/2 c pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 3 large, ripe bananas

  • Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nuts. Make a well in the middle.
  • In another bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and egg. Using your hands or the back of a fork, gently squash the bananas (don't "mash" them, keep some chunks), and add to the wet ingredients. Stir well.
  • Pour the banana mixture into the flour and oat mixture. Stir until just combined.
  • Divide batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin tins. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

          2 comments:

          1. Laura, I think you gave me some of these a while back....right? I remember they were very, very good. I like that you use whole wheat flour too instead of white flour. I'm a "cook" rather than a "baker," but I am going to make these one day!

            ReplyDelete
          2. I think those were similar; if I remember correctly I think I used all flour instead of oats and honey instead of maple syrup. I'm glad you like them!

            ReplyDelete

          Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

          Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...