Monday, June 18, 2012

White Bean Salad


Originally this post was going to be about making various vinaigrettes. I had made three different vinaigrettes and had big plans to photograph them and offer several recipes along with a tutorial about how to make and customize them.

Then, I ate them in various dishes and forgot to take the pictures.

I'm sorry.

But the salads were good.

I will do it soon, though, because the basic formula for The Vinaigrette is indispensable for the summer salads, regardless of whether the salads are full of greens, beans, potatoes, vegetables, pastas, or a combination. 

For most of the people for whom I cooked Saturday evening, the main course was a white kidney bean salad marinated in a lovely red wine vinaigrette (with a side of tomato basil focaccia).  For the two of my family who don't like beans so much, a salad topped with sauteed chicken marinated in the same vinaigrette was the main show.  Both were easy, fresh, and summery, and both were delicious.

In this salad, I suggest de-seeded cucumbers.  To do this, peel your cucumber (if needed), and slice it in half lengthwise.  With a spoon, scrape out the seeds.


Slice it and dice it accordingly.

The longer this salad marinates, the better it tastes.  At least 30 minutes is necessary, and leftovers only get better.  If you do have leftovers, store the bean mixture by itself (not with the greens) in the fridge.


White Bean Salad
serves 4-5 as a main course
  • 2 c cooked cannellini beans
  • 1 c chopped red onion (about 1 small onion)
  • 1/2 cucumber, de-seeded and chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped (or a handful of grape tomatoes, halved or quartered)
  • 5-6 cups fresh greens (to include plenty of arugula)
  • 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed
  • salt, to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
  • garlic croutons, preferably homemade (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine the beans, onion, cucumber, and tomatoes.


In a 1/2 pint jar or other small container with a tight fitting lid, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.


Tighten the lid and shake like crazy.


Pour over the bean mixture and mix well.


Allow to marinate at room temperature at least 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Give it a taste and adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.

Arrange the greens among the plates.  Top evenly with the bean mixture, spooning extra marinade from the bottom of the bean bowl over the beans and greens.  Top each plate with crumbled feta cheese and garlic croutons, if using.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like the perfect summer meal! We have been salad crazy in our house this last month trying to eat a bit lighter for lunch. I can't wait to see some more of your dressings so we can try them out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama F! We are loving the summer salads here as well. Working on a few fun dressings as we speak...

      Delete
  2. I make an almost identical dish and dressing and it is delicious. Your photos look very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your site! I, too, love REAL food, and I also love these kinds of salads!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...