The month of March marks the beginning of spring, and with spring comes all those lovely, healthy, antioxidant rich leafy greens. And the #greenslove blog hop! Scroll down past the recipe to see all the awesome co-hosts this month and all the greens based recipes throughout the entire month of March!
Generally, I don't spend much time studying the scientific and nutritional value of my food anymore, beyond the quality and the manner in which it is grown or raised. I used to, though, and I think every single living person should spend some time researching and understanding what our food is and how it affects us both physically and mentally, since many of us are generations removed from the common knowledge upon which our ancestors relied. The information I have gathered over the years has formed my view of food, and it really does come down to eating rational portions of real, unadulterated food - nothing more, nothing less. However, on the fairly rare occasion someone in my household is feeling under the weather, I do rely on the traditional medicinal, healing properties of our foods, rather than the pharmacy. We have been fortunate in our health to be able to rely solely on this method so far, and I'm grateful every single day for that gift and freedom.
For many of us, chicken noodle soup is a favorite go-to meal when we are feeling sick. The warmth of the soup and even the vegetables help us to feel better, but mostly it's the bone broth in which it is simmered; the easily digestible minerals found in homemade chicken stock delivers just what the ailing person's body needs to feel better.
But what about those people who either don't eat meat, don't have any stock on hand, or just don't feel like making it because they're so darn sick? Enter garlic and spinach.
Garlic has been medicinally used for ailments of all manner for thousands of years for its antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial value. Garlic always has been and always will be one of nature's "super foods". My gosh, it's so powerful, it is even rumored to keep away the undead. Need I say more?
Spinach is so jammed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, its contribution to our health is also indisputable. I'd be here forever touting all the benefits of this little leaf because it's an absolute powerhouse of health benefits, so I'll leave that to you to research for yourself. It might be faster to ask what it doesn't offer; the list is short.
So, it makes sense to me that when cooked together and simmered with fresh herbs, the healing factor might actually trump the comfort and flavor factors for this antioxidant rich soup. Spinach, Bean and Garlic Soup is easy to make, the ingredients are few and simple, and it tastes absolutely amazing. We eat it even when we are feeling just fine, of course, but if you are a vegetarian or vegan (or even an omnivore fresh out of home made chicken stock) and are looking for a good "sick soup", this is one of my favorites.
Consider serving this soup with a salad loaded with fresh baby greens, sliced mushrooms and red onions, and drizzled with a lemon vinaigrette. Mushrooms are incredibly powerful immune boosters, too, and easily fall into place in my top 5 "feel better" foods.
Spinach, Bean and Garlic Soup
serves 6
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated, smacked, and peeled
- 9 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 6-8 fresh sage leaves
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 cloves (or a small pinch of ground cloves)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 6 packed cups fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (or about 1 cup purchased chopped tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 c white beans such as Navy, Great Northern, or Cannellini
- 1/2 c small dried pasta (elbows, small shells, ditalini, etc)
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 6 lemon wedges
- Croutons for garnish (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Sear the garlic cloves for about 2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Add the water, bay, sage, thyme, parsley, cloves, salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for 45-60 minutes.
Place a sieve over a large bowl.
Carefully pour the garlic broth through the sieve. Lift the sieve and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 Tbs olive oil in the stockpot over medium high heat. Remove 6 of the tender garlic cloves from the sieve and mash them into the warm oil with the back of a spoon.
Stir in the tomatoes. Mix well. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring often.
Pour the garlic broth into the tomato and garlic mixture. Mix well. Bring to a low boil. Sir in the spinach, beans, and pasta. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until pasta is tender and spinach is wilted. Season with hot sauce.
Serve with lemon wedges. Top with croutons and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
March is #greenslove month!
Please join in the #greenslove fun by linking up any leafy green recipe from the month of March 2012. Don't forget to link back to this post so that your readers know to come by the #greenslove event! The twitter hashtag is #greenslove.
Check out the #greenslove co-hosts!
Al Dente Gourmet ~ Aldy ~ @AlDenteGourmet
ASTIG Vegan ~ Richgail ~ @astigvegan
Badger Girl Learns to Cook ~ Kimberly ~ @BdgrGrl
Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves ~ Becky Higgins
BigFatBaker ~ Erin ~ @BigFatBaker
Bon a croquer ~ Valerie ~ @Valouth
CafeTerraBlog ~ Terra ~ @CafeTerraBlog
Cake Duchess ~ Lora ~ @cakeduchess
Cheap Ethnic Eatz ~ Evelyne ~ @cethniceatz
Easily Good Eats ~ Three Cookies
Georgiecakes ~ Georgie ~ @georgiecakes
Kitchen Belleicious ~ Jessica ~ @kbelleicious
Mis Pensamientos ~ Junia ~ @juniakk
My Twisted Recipe ~ Dudot ~ @mytwistedrecipe
Queen's Notebook ~ Elizabeth ~ @Mango_Queen
Rico sin Azucar ~ Helena ~ @ricosinazucar
Savoring Every Bite ~ Linda ~ @Spicegirlfla
Simply Reem ~ Reem ~ @simplyreem
Soni's Food for Thought ~ Soni ~ @sonisfood
Sprint 2 the Table ~ Laura ~ @Sprint2theTable
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Deanna ~ @tspbasil
The Art of Cooking Real Food ~ Laura ~@TAofCRF
The Spicy RD ~ EA ~ @thespicyrd
The Wimpy Vegetarian ~ Susan ~ @wimpyvegetarian
Vegan Yack Attack! ~ Jackie ~ @veganyackattack
Vegetarian Mamma ~ Cindy ~ @VegetarianMamma









Super healthy and nutritious indeed!Packed with flavor and so comforting!Laura, I just love this soup and will definitely be making it very soon :)Sending you some #Greenslove!
ReplyDeleteWith a little bit fo winter left this soup is certainly the best way to spend the last days of wineter. Scrumptious recipe - I love greens in any soup - it's a keeper ;)
ReplyDeleteYou had me at "soup"! Love this combo of spinach, bean and garlic. Thanks for sharing the greenslove!
ReplyDeleteAs a non-meat eater I love this alternative to a healing chicken soup! I can never get enough garlic, so this sound especially good to me. Can't wait to try it out - thank you!
ReplyDeleteMuch #greenslove to you!
Ironically I'm just starting to feel under the weather and I took one look at your photo and thought, "that's what I need to feel better!" and then read the post. Haha. I do love me some homemade chicken broth but I love the healing properties in this soup as well. Hmmm... maybe I'll make some spinach-garlic-chicken soup today. :) Happy #greenslove to you!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better soon!
DeleteAnything with garlic and I am there! And, I still have a bucket left over from the harvest that needs used. Super healthy soup!
ReplyDeleteI just love all the fresh herbs and spices in this soup. Looking forward to trying it out (both when I'm well and under the weather.)
ReplyDeleteThis looks good and very healthy. My daughter will enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving all of these wonderful recipes with greens! What I love best about this recipe is all of the garlic! WOW! Your speaking to a real garlic fan here and I never thought of adding so much to a spinach dish! Great recipe!
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect timing for me! I just cooked some white beans today to use in various dishes this week, and this soup will totally hit the spot! I love it. Sending you #greenslove all month!
ReplyDeleteLove your recipe of soup!!!
ReplyDeleteHealthy and Yummy!!!!!
Beautiful.
i love the flavors of garlic and spinach and soup! its amazing how we can find healing thru natural foods such as garlic! yay for veggie friendly meals. :) sending some #greenslove to u!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely soup...on cold rainy days I could drink bowls of this...
ReplyDeleteWonderful flavors, I love garlic - can get enough garlic!! A big pot of this would last me for a couple days of lunches!!
ReplyDeleteSpinach and beans, perfect for the cold days! (I like the croutons ;-)
ReplyDeleteI wish you a lovely #greenslove!
Looks fantastic! I love spinach soup, and garlic sounds like a wonderfully intense flavor to go with it :) This bloghop has me really excited!
ReplyDeletei definitely agree! soup is the 'first go to' meal whenever someone is sick and serving this healthy dish definitely makes a lot of difference.
ReplyDeletelovely post and recipe too!
glad to be co hosting with you for greenslove :)
This sounds amazing! Plus, it's vegan! (until you get to the parmesan topper ;)) I've been meaning to try out a navy bean soup, and this looks like the perfect one! Sending #greenslove your way!
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful soup and love the idea of doing an easy and veggie version of chicken soup. i am big on home remedies too when sick. Beautiful creation for greenslove.
ReplyDeleteWonderful recipe!! Definitely all the ingredients I love!! Sounds very tuscan, a perfect combination of flavors!! Glad to be cohosting with you!
ReplyDeleteLOVE your soup and it's definitely going on my list to make! I think my homemade croutons would be pretty yummy on top of your soup :-). Happy to celebrate #greenslove with you!
ReplyDeleteGarlic and spinach is amazing. Lots of garlic is even better, and healthy! Great to be co-hosting with you
ReplyDeleteI love this soup! My hubby and I make a spinach and tortellini soup, I love the addition of beans in this beautiful soup. I also love how you prepared your garlic, what a great idea! Happy GreensLove! Hugs, Terra
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone!!!
ReplyDeletespinach, garlic and beans...I'm in...love it!
ReplyDelete#greenslove
Jen