Of all the wonderful food offerings of the holiday season, I must confess that the appetizers are my favorite. I spend entirely too much time munching from the appetizer tables, it's true, but with holiday bean dips and vegetable dips and cheese spreads and crostini and antipasto and...what's an appetizer junkie to do? I'd like to promise that this year I will exhibit much more self control, but I know I'd be lying. I just really can't help myself.
In this festive and pretty cheese spread, both green and black olives are combined with sundried tomatoes and creamy Fontina cheese, and then rolled in fresh herbs. I used a combination of parsley, thyme, rosemary and oregano, but adding basil or marjoram would taste wonderful, too; they key is to choose at least three different fresh herbs rather than just one or two.
Herbed Olive and Cheese Spread
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 c Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c green pitted olives (I used pimento stuffed for additional color), sliced
- 1/4 c pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 Tbs sundried tomatoes (oil packed), chopped
- 3 Tbs assorted herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil...), chopped
With a handheld mixer, blend cream cheese and fontina until blended. Stir in the olives and sundried tomatoes.
Spread the herbs on a plate or cutting board.
Form the cheese and olive mixture into a 6 inch log (or whatever shape makes you happy). Roll the log in the herbs.
Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Serve with pita chips, toasted baguette slices, or assorted crackers.






Oh, this is FANTASTIC! Like you - I'm a HUGE appetizer fan and I love, Love, LOVE the ingredients! Buzzing this one with glee!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ann!
ReplyDelete