Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pecan Cheese Ball


I used to think cheese balls were kind of hokey and only showed up on my grandmother's holiday table, destined to be avoided by nearly everyone because it just looked...questionable.  Boy, have I been wrong.  I've been playing around with some different cheese ball ingredient combinations and I think I might actually be in love with the whole idea.  I know I just posted a savory cheese ball recipe (Herbed Olive and Cheese Spread), but this one is sweet and it's too yummy not to share right away.

In other chocolate chip cheese ball recipes, I've noticed many of them call for a lot of additional butter (probably for spreadability), but I decided to use a small amount of coconut oil instead.  The result is a sweet and decadent chocolate chip and pecan spread with just the perfect hint of coconut flavor.  I'm happy to say it's one of those cream cheese spreads you will want to eat with a spoon, but it tastes amazing with firm fruits, graham crackers, bagels, or vanilla cookies.  It makes a lovely holiday presentation centered on a platter surrounded by red and green apple slices, too.

Chocolate Chip Pecan Cheese Ball
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 c unrefined coconut oil 
  • (such as Spectrum Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil)
  • 2 Tbs raw honey
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c plus 1/3 c mini chocolate chips (or well chopped semi sweet chocolate), divided
  • 1/3 c chopped pecans



With a hand held mixer set to low speed, blend together the cream cheese, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla.  Stir in 1/2 c chocolate chips.


Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

On a plate or board, combine the remaining 1/3 c chocolate chips and pecans.


Form the chocolate chip cheese mixture into a ball.  Roll in the chocolate chip and pecan mixture.

Refrigerate until ready to use.  Serve with apples, pears, bagel slices, graham crackers or vanilla cookies.






5 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks so good. You ain't going to find this in no store. Will have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I have been planning to make pecan cheese balls but now you have me thinking about adding chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never in my life heard of putting apples or pears with cheese, and then in the last week I have come across tons of recipes -- including my own -- that have it together. How could have missed this amazing combination? This cheese ball look FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GREAT! A sweet cheese ball! One of the most creative dishes I've seen in a good long while! Very, very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...