In my last post, Broccoli with Horseradish Cheese Sauce, I shared with you that I've been spending a hefty portion of my days dreaming about my super-lush, highly proficient, ultra prosperous, naturally perfect garden. While I'm doing that, I'm also planning the plots and looking forward to those winter months when I'll want my own frozen and canned vegetables and fruits. Naturally, one of those garden lovelies will be tomatoes because several our meals each week feature, or at the very least rely upon, some sort of tomato based ingredient.
This recipe is a most basic Tomato Basil Marinara, one that is extremely tasty served over pasta all on its own, but also a good base to which to add other ingredients such as bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, celery, eggplant, ground beef, ground pork, etc. Ideally, fresh tomatoes, peeled or not, (personally, I'm not a peeler in this recipe because the peel just doesn't bother me much) are the best, freshest way to simmer this 30 minute sauce. If fresh tomatoes are not in season and you don't have any home-canned tomatoes, a good quality purchased diced or whole tomato works well, too. If using whole canned tomatoes (which, if not using fresh tomatoes, taste the best, in my opinion), be sure to crush them with the back of the spoon during the cooking to mash them up a bit.
Wine; I love wine in the sauce (I kind of just love wine everywhere, all the time, though). Some people don't. The wine in this sauce, while absolutely delicious, is actually optional. However, the balsamic vinegar is not.
Tomato Basil Marinara
makes approx 3 cups
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 c white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 - 4 c chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 c chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 c dry red wine, optional
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- several grinds fresh black pepper
- pinch dried red chili flakes
Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Saute onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is translucent and mixture is highly fragrant.
Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes (for canned tomatoes) to 30 minutes (for fresh tomatoes). Stir occasionally.
Serve over hot pasta. Top with grated Parmesan, if desired.





Nothing stands up to the good ol' Marinara, and we have a few things in common... skip unnecessary peeling and love wine. Great post!
ReplyDeleteCheers, Camilla!
DeleteI love the idea of adding a splash of balsamic vinegar! Wonderful marinara~
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lizzy!
DeleteYour post tag says it all: simple, easy, real! You've rendered this classic beautifully. I hope you enjoyed those timeless flavors all melding as one!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Viviane! It's one of my favorite super-fast sauces to make - so much flavor, so few ingredients.
DeleteNothing better than a good marinara souace especially with fressh tomatoes. Love the red wine addition, too. Tasty!
ReplyDeleteNothing quite compares to using those fresh, plump, juicy summer tomatoes. Ahhhh....!
DeleteThis looks amazingly delicious - so happy I found your site today! Just started following and looking forward to seeing more! :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Kaitlin! Thank you!
Delete