Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Greek Lima Beans


A while ago I was involved in a discussion with several moms who were trying to find ways to help their kids like Lima beans.  Karyn, a mom whose extended family originated from Greece, shared a super easy, super delicious recipe that my whole family loves.

According to the matriarch of the Greek side of her family, one needs to add oregano or marjoram  "only if they are sick", but I really love the beans with the oregano and marjoram.  And I'm not sure how Greek my serving manner is, but to make it a main course, I like to serve it over cooked brown rice, topped with a squeeze of lemon, feta cheese, and chopped olives.  For lunch the next day, I like them served with warm pita bread and more feta.  Mmm...

I wish I could find some green dried Lima beans, but alas, there are none at any of my local stores; all are white.  I've made these beans with both small and large Lima beans, and both turn out delicious, but it is ideal to use the large beans, per Karyn's mother-in-law.  Ultimately, use what you can find - you'll find a great tasting dish on your table, regardless.

Be sure to soak your beans - either cover them in water for at least eight hours, then rinse, or boil them for one minute, cover, remove from heat, and let soak for one hour, then rinse before using them in this recipe.

Greek Lima Beans
serves 8
  • 1 lb dry lima beans, soaked and rinsed
  • 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped (including any leaves)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 8-10 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups)
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram (optional)
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 375F.

Place the soaked Lima beans in a 9x13 pan.


In a deep skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil.  Add the celery, onion, garlic, and tomatoes.  Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture forms a nice, juicy gravy.  Stir in the parsley, bay leaves, oregano (if using), and marjoram (if using).  Season with a few pinches of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.



Pour the gravy over the beans and mix well.



Cover with foil and bake for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the beans are tender.







3 comments:

  1. What a GREAT lima bean recipe. I'm new to enjoying them and now I love, Love, LOVE them! I also adore greek flavorings/seasonings...so this is a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love recipes like these with family history. They are so much more fun to make and serve. I've saved this one. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...