When I menu plan for the week (and I do because I'd spend a lot more money at the grocery store than I really need to spend if I didn't menu plan), I always allow for super speedy dinners on those nights I know are going to be busy. This Easy Taco Salad is one of those quick "go-to" meals for us. And I especially like that I can feed 6 people a healthy, delicious, filling meal for under $7, including fruit on the side.
For the chips, I could just buy a bag of chips, but I prefer to bake corn tortillas in the oven. I like that I can decide how they are cooked, how much and what kind of oil is used, what type of corn is used, and it's less expensive. My favorite are the organic sprouted corn tortillas from Food for Life (they are in the freezer section of the grocery store because there are no preservatives to give them a lengthy shelf life). There are 12 tortillas in a package. I baste them with a little olive oil and run a knife through them to create eight chip size wedges per tortilla. I just spread them on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake them for about 8 minutes or until they are golden and crispy (no need to turn them). With only two trays, I usually do two separate batches.
![]() |
| Leave a little breathing room between your chips to ensure even cooking |
![]() |
| Remove them from the oven when they are golden |
Easy Taco Salad
serves 6
- 12 6" corn tortillas
- 2 - 3 tsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 3 cups prepared chili beans
- 4 - 6 cups chopped lettuce
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups (6-8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (or other cheese you enjoy on your tacos)
- 1 1/2 c prepared salsa
- chopped red or green onions
- chopped green or red bell peppers
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped avocado
- sour cream
Preheat oven to 350F.
Using a pastry brush, lightly paint the oil on both sides of each tortilla. Stack the tortillas and cut them through into 8 wedges (you should have 96 wedges). Layer them on baking sheets, allowing at least 1/2 inch between each chip. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for about 8-10 minutes (depending on the kind of tortillas you are using). When they are golden, but before the edges turn brown, remove them from the sheets and allow to cool. (Note - depending on how many baking sheets you use, you may need to do a few batches. If you use more than one rack in the oven, be sure to turn the trays or swap them from top to bottom to ensure even browning.)
Meanwhile, warm the chili beans in a pot on the stove. If you would like to add cooked beef or chicken, stir it in with the chili beans and adjust the flavors to your liking.
Divide the chips evenly among the plates. Top each plate with 1/2 c of the warm chili bean mixture, a good handful of chopped lettuce (and cilantro if using), and some shredded cheese. Drizzle about 1/4 c of the salsa over each salad. Top with which ever toppings appeal to you.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.